What They Don't Tell You Before Starting College - What I Wish I Knew Before Starting College


        Howdy, howdy! Before starting college, I wished I knew a few things that would have boosted me during my first three years of college. Not only have I benefitted from what I know now, but I know others will. The advice I will give goes to most people going into college.

    A bit about me: I am a third-year college student and about to start my fourth year. I started at the community college near me for two years, and for the past year have gone to a university. During my two years at the community college, I switched my major from film to education. This has left me with an extra two years to tackle (which is cool because I love what I am doing now).

        Do not have excessive amounts of stuff sent to you, AND do not overpack!  You may have heard other college students mention how they overpacked their first year away and had difficulty taking everything back. It's true! The more you pack, the more you will have to take home. I did not overpack, but I had things sent to my dorm and had to TAKE IT ALL BACK! Now that I have experienced that, I will sell and donate items I do not use anymore. I recommend selling things you no longer use before college to make your trip to and from college easier. Cleaning out and donating before packing everything will help immensely. Doing this will keep your load light because you will not be tempted to carry as much to college. Keep in mind the more that goes in, the more that comes out when packing. Also, remember that you may need or want to buy a few things while up at college. My packing recommendations to help keep things organized are to pack essentials first (clothes, hygiene, etc.), then add other things (keep it light though - tiny plants, one or two books, and small items). 

        Know what you want, and get what you want! I was at a community college during my first year, and I was required to talk to my advisor during my first-year college experience class. My professor told the course to go to our advisor and prepare to discuss classes and our major. I already knew to do this step because I did the same in high school. Over the next few days, I laid out classes from the university I wanted to go to for film (a small university) and a sample plan of what courses I could take over the next year that would transfer to the university. The day came when I needed to talk to my advisor, and I discussed my plan with her. She immediately shut me down and said I would be better off at a large university. I explained to her I could not see myself at a large university because I tend to do better in smaller environments. Being in a small setting is one of the reasons I went to community college for the first two years out of high school and now go to a small university. After I explained why I wanted to go to a smaller university, she continued to push for a larger university, even handing me a folder about the university. I left her office and never went back. My point is to know what you want so you can get what you want that's best for you. Knowing yourself is also essential to get the most out of your education. Now that I am at the university I want to be at, my advisor is much better. She is very knowledgeable about what she advises and has a listening ear. 

       Do what you know, do what you love! I cannot emphasize this enough. First, do what you know. Do not choose a major with courses you will not do reasonably well in. If you are not good at science and math, DON'T DO IT! If you are not good at history and English, DON'T DO IT!! I understand that the more upper-level classes you take, the more challenging courses will be, but if you cannot nail the basics, do not choose that major. I don't do well in math and science, but I am reasonably good at history and English, so I am a history education major. Think about this: if your major is nursing, and you have failed A&P 1 three times, it's probably time to move on. Imagine how much more difficult upper-level classes will be for you as well. Also, imagine wasting time and money having to repeat classes. Don't get me wrong, everyone struggles at one point or another with their academics or career, and some majors are more complex than others (nursing), but DO NOT struggle because it was too difficult from the basics. 

          Do what is best for you! What is best for you? A smaller university, a larger university, biology major, education major, DO WHAT IS BEST FOR YOU! Do not forget to pray and ask what is best for you because He knows what's best!

        I honestly wish I knew this information before I went to college. Please send this to a college student who needs it, and have him or her pass it on. God bless!!


- Haley Owens

    1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 "Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Ways to Stay Organized - Life, Travel, and Jesus

Lake and Beach Fun! Vacation 2023 - Haley Owens

Amazon Necessities - College Edition